COLLECTION OF EJACULATE SAMPLE FOR CULTURE
Ejaculate passes through urethra, which normally has diverse and abundant flora that can contaminate ejaculate sample. Such contamination interferes with interpretation of culture results. Therefore, the goal of following procedures is to collect ejaculate sample without significant presence of urethral flora.
1. Prepare sterile container (can be purchased in a pharmacy store).
2. Unscrew the sterile container and place its cover on a clean surface, inner side up. Be careful not to touch/contaminate inner surfaces of either the cover or the container!
3. Thoroughly wash urogenital region with soap and water. Rinse thoroughly and do not dry.
4. Hold skin foldings to assure DIRECT urine flow.
5. Empty the bladder by urinating forcefully to wash off the urethral flora.
6. Still holding the skin foldings, ejaculate into prepared sterile container and close it tightly.
7. Bring the specimen as soon as possible (within 2 hours) to the Polyclinic Breyer for processing.
Results can be expected in 2-4 business days.